Business and System Engineering and Technical Assistance (SETA) Service
The senior engineers employed by SW Complete have provided domain understanding, requirements
analysis, complex problem solving, business process reengineering, and process improvement strategies to
meet the demands of an evolving information age within the Defense Department and the Intelligence Community. Our experience working
side-by-side with Government and commercial customers to help shape their approach to systems
engineering has given us valuable insight into what is required to successfully implement process
improvement changes. By using our own development process as a starting point for our customers, we
establish confidence in the success of each customer's project. Our team's experience derives from software
development contracts which require us to successfully deliver software on-time and on-budget, improving
software development and earned value management practices. Our approach to reengineering also
enhances documentation of existing processes, and where needed, creates and documents new processes to
develop an integrated, cohesive, software and systems engineering capability.
We have mentored and assisted the Defense Department in its mission by applying our engineering services to improve
capabilities for exploitation, target access, team collaboration, rapid response, analysis tools, data
dissemination, and overall situational awareness, internally, as well as with other government
customers in a globally networked and integrated environment. We have applied experience with J2EE
technologies and distributed computing for high-availability systems that directly support the goals of the
Intelligence Community mission.
Within the theme of the Capability Maturity Model Integration (CMMI) "Reuse Everything," we employ
several technical approaches depending on the engineering life cycle to achieve an effective system and
software reuse practice, all with off-the-shelf open source software tools:
- Identify small components reused with components (utilities)
- Identify larger successful groups of components (promote frameworks)
- Create parameterized versions of components used across existing systems (create frameworks,
- Participate in domain analysis sessions for identifying existing architectures and solutions within
the enterprise that solve some or all of the issues within the domain (mining, reengineering)
- Provide consulting during domain analysis, and system reengineering to abstract out refined
system requirements for future domain-specific software architecture development (domain-based
- Reuse and support successful approaches and processes within the enterprise
- Support existing reusable assets; incorporate software assets into intranet distribution services
- Perform issue tracking with full reporting capability
- Implement software changes
- Configuration management
- Life cycle planning
- Provide technical support for finding and integrating assets into specific projects
- Provide cross-project abstractions in areas outside software engineering which include process
improvement and project management (CMMI)
Our proven software methodology emphasizes measurable results through continuous feedback, small
development iterations, rapid prototyping and frequent deliveries to the customer. Each delivery includes
auto-generated metrics of project velocity and expected results. Our software developers have supported
the Defense Department and commercial customers in the development of custom web-based applications, employing
web-enabled technologies such as Enterprise Java Beans, application servers, Java Server Pages,
n-tier, distributed architectures on a variety of platforms in use today within the Intelligence Community.
Information Technology Services
SW Complete has provided information technology services to both commercial and government customers since 2001. Our practical, hands-on approach to enabling technologies in support of distributed application development through the use of web/e-commerce applications, is directly applicable to the services the Intelligence Community needs. Specifically, our staff has applied state-of-the-art information technology solutions by performing these activities:
- Re-implemented consumer auction site using Java Server Pages (JSP) and Java Servlets to provide auction site networking, new auction models, XML interfaces, automated object-relational mapping, and database portability.
- Developed system components for enterprise portal application using J2EE technologies for the Defense Department's Initial Transformation Activity; deployed web applications for use inside and outside the portal. Commercial products used include Sybase Enterprise Application Server, Sybase Enterprise Portal, BEA Weblogic, and Oracle PL/SQL
- Provided object-oriented technology mentoring to help seed an organization's development team's approach for software development and maintenance.
- Provided software process improvements, such as peer review, distributed source code control, scripted software release management, wide-spread adoption of unit testing, similar to Extreme Programming (XP).
- Performed software product testing and evaluation to make technical recommendations to the customer whether or not the tools provide overall value to their organization, based on current requirements and projections for future growth/utilization. Tools evaluated include: integrated development environments (IDEs), automated test, performance/optimization, configuration management, object-oriented analysis/design (UML), J2EE application servers, open source frameworks, and Python GUI toolkits.
- Integrated network system components using BEA Weblogic, JBoss, Tomcat, Java Agent Development framework (JADE), and MQ Series middleware.
Operations Support Services
In addition to developing custom software solutions, we provide on-site acceptance testing, installation support, and operator training. SW Complete staff have trained the operators responsible for operating, managing, monitoring, and configuring the delivered systems on a daily basis. Training courses typically include the following topics:
- Basic Hardware and Operation
- Basic Operating System Operation
Tracking changes to the system once it has been deployed and is operational is key to quality lifecycle support. We employ strict configuration management practices before, during and after system development, to ensure 100% mission success.
SW Complete takes great pride in our reputation for customer support and training. We have experience with on-site training and mentoring in support of the understanding of software architectures, object-oriented analysis and design, programming, process improvement, configuration management, software testing, and lifecycle support. Our staff developing courses in object-oriented software development, UML, C++, Java/J2EE, including XML, HTML, web services and service-oriented architectures. We have also provided end-user training in a number of domains, including data visualization, air traffic control, office automation, project scheduling, and customer relationship management.